5 Hair Commandments

Friday, January 23, 2009


Originally from Urban Culz


I have found a new website that is full of informative hair guides for women with natural hair. This year I plan on having long and beautifully natural hair.

-AMEN-

She posted 5 MUST STICK HAIR COMMANDMENTS

5. Thou shall moisture like my life depends on it. Moisture is the key to beautiful, healthy, and long curls. Therefore, investing in a good moisturizer and moisturizing routine will keep your curls in optimal condition.
CHECK - I am a moisturizer fiend. I moisturize like my life depends on it. Speaking of I need to purchase some more CHI Silk Infusion Serum. Yum!

4. Thou shall treat my knots with patience. This is a main source of breakage with curly hair. I suggest carefully detangling the hair in the shower with your finger or if necessary a detangling comb or brush. The key is to have patience while detangling, this will prevent a lot of breakage.
NEED Improvement - I am a very impatient woman but I will try to get better.


3. Thou shall never let another salon treat my curls like a second class citizen. That's right, in '09, I refuse to sit in a salon more than 3 hours. I refuse to allow a stylist to ask me to relax or texturize. And more importantly I refuse to pay inflated prices just because I am natural. Nope, not this year-we're in a recession.
CHECK - My Renee from Nelda's Hair Salon in the Omni Hotel is DA BOMB! The woman prays over my hair. Yeah...she's crazy like that.

2. Thou shall treat heat like a two faced friend-with caution. Yes, heat is like a two faced friend-basically sometimes it can be useful, but in the end can be lethal. I recommend using heat no more than one or two times a month. So to all my straight ladies, stretch those blowouts out a little longer.
NEED Improvement - I am so dependant upon using heat because I lack the patience or hair literacy to tolerate otherwise. My goal is to blowout my hair by myself more often. While I am not at point to use heat only once or twice I month, I will limit to once a week straightening iron. I will buy an FHI and try not to use my hot comb. Wish me good luck!

1. Thou shall let it hang loose. Religiously wearing the hair in tight ponytails or buns will cause breakage and in some cases baldness. So don't be afraid to let your hair hang low on occasions.
I'm Almost there - Thanks to my mother who hates when I put my hair in a ponytail...I am getting better at letting her flow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...